**Attendees must follow all current Health Department and CDC guidelines in regards to social distancing **
1. Bonfire shall be a minimum of 75 feet away from the dunes.
2. Only untreated, natural wood may be used in the bonfire.
3. Bonfire must be thoroughly extinguished and cooled down prior to midnight and all material must be disposed of in a metal container and removed from the beach upon completion. Material must not be buried in the sand, thrown into the ocean or placed in plastic garbage receptacles on the beach.
4. Bonfire MUST be attended at all times. Precautions must be taken to ensure all attendees, especially children, are kept at a safe distance from the bonfire at all times.
5. All other normal beach regulations, including but not limited to: driving on the beach, consumption of alcoholic beverages, time parameters and pets shall be adhered to.
6. Groups under the age of 18 must be chaperoned by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age or older. The permit will be issued only to the chaperone, who will be responsible for compliance with the requirements for the bonfire.
7. The person obtaining the permit must be present during the hours of the bonfire. They must have in their possession a copy of this permit (paper or digital) and present it upon request of a Fire Official or Police Officer. The Town of Ocean City reserves the right to check for permit compliance at any time.
8. Blackout Dates/Times Locations: Bonfire permits will not be issued for the following:
I agree that I have read, understand and will comply with the General Requirements
Bonfire Setup Requirements
1. The Fire Marshal’s Office requires the following items be utilized for the safe setup and cleanup of a bonfire:
2. Bonfire material must only consist of untreated wood. It may not include:
3. Flammable and/or combustible liquids must not be utilized for igniting or fueling bonfires.
4. Bonfires are permitted only on the beach near the water, and a minimum of 75 feet from the dunes. The fire must also be a sufficient distance away from beach boxes, lifeguard stands and other potentially combustible items to avoid possible ignition.
5. Unsuitable wind or weather conditions must be taken into consideration prior to and during the actual bonfire. Adverse conditions may cause the revocation of this permit.
6. Servicing of the bonfire site will be accomplished by hand carrying the equipment and supplies to the site. Vehicles shall not service the bonfire site.
7. Bonfires may be no larger than 3 feet high and 4 feet in diameter, and must be placed in a pit approximately 1 foot deep.
I agree that I have read, understand and will comply with the Setup Requirements
Bonfire Cleanup Requirements
1. Cleanup and restoration of the site must be completed by the expiration date and time set forth by this permit. All ash and leftover material must be thoroughly wet down and allowed to properly cool before being placed in a user-supplied metal trash can and removed from the beach. At no time should warm embers be placed in any trash receptacles.The fire pit must be leveled to return the beach to its previous status. MATERIAL AND/OR ASH SHALL NOT BE BURIED IN THE SAND OR THROWN IN THE OCEAN.
2. Bonfire site will be inspected post cleanup. The permittee may be billed additional fees for the cost of response/cleanup in the event of failure to properly cleanup from the bonfire. Future bonfire applications may be denied due to previous improper cleanup.
3. All persons encompassed in this permit must vacate the bonfire site no later than the date and time set forth by this permit.
4. The Town of Ocean City’s Department of Public Works cleans the beach each night. When you see a beachcomber tractor approaching your area, please be mindful of them and bring your crowd in closer to the bonfire so that they may properly clean the beach.
I agree that I have read, understand and will comply with the Cleanup Requirements
I understand that failure to comply with the conditions could result in cancellation of this permit, denial of future permits, cleanup fees and/or municipal citations up to and including $1000.
Bonfire permits are non-refundable. Approved permits may be rescheduled through the link at the bottom of the confirmation email up to the start time of the bonfire. In the event a customer must cancel a bonfire permit without a selected date to reschedule, the customer must cancel through the link at the bottom of the confirmation email up to the start time of the bonfire and will be issued a one-time use code for a free permitted bonfire to use at a later date.
Waiver and Release of Liability
I hereby certify that I understand the risks of starting and conducting a bonfire and I acknowledge that I am fully aware of and assume the risks of this activity.
Furthermore, I, my agents, successors, personal representatives, assigns, heirs and next of kin, hereby expressly agree to indemnify and hold the Town of Ocean City, its officials, officers, agents, employees, volunteers and representatives harmless from, for and against, any and all liabilities, claims, suits, demands, judgments, causes of action of any kind (at law or at equity), losses, damages, costs or charges (including attorneys’ fees), related directly or indirectly to this bonfire by myself or any attendee of the bonfire. I, my agents, successors, personal representatives, assigns, heirs and next of kin, hereby expressly agree to indemnify and hold the Town of Ocean City, its officials, officers, agents, employees, volunteers and representatives harmless from, for and against any act or omission, loss, injury, death or damage, which at any time may be suffered or sustained by myself or any attendee of the bonfire, regardless of whether such loss, injury, death or damage shall be caused by, or in any way result from, or arise out of any act, omission, or negligence (other than gross negligence) of the Town of Ocean City, its officials, officers, directors, licensees, employees, agents, servants, contractors and subcontractors, or shall result from or be caused by any other matter or thing, whether of the same kind as or a different kind than the matters or things above set forth. My obligation includes all costs, expenses, and liabilities incurred in connection with any claim or proceeding, including the reasonable expense of investigating and defending any such claim or proceeding, and including attorney’s fees.
I covenant not to sue, and release, waive and discharge the Town of Ocean City, its departments, or its officials, officers, agents, employees and representatives, all of whom for the purpose of this release are referred to as Releasees, from all liability to myself and my agents, successors, personal representatives, assigns, heirs and next of kin, for any and all loss or damage on account of injury to myself or any attendees at the bonfire, whether caused by the negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, while conducting the bonfire on the beach in the Town of Ocean City. I agree that the foregoing Release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the laws of the State of Maryland, and that if any portion of it is held invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall, notwithstanding, continue in full legal force and effect.
By checking the box below, I express my understanding and intent to enter into this Waiver and Release of Liability willingly and voluntarily and assert that I am at least twenty one years of age.